This year’s Show recipe is Bakewell Tart; I have tried this recipe and had I read the method correctly it could have been ‘perfect’, I had the oven at 200C for a conventional oven and not 180C for my fan oven.
For the shortcrust pastry
175g/6oz plain flour
75g/2½oz chilled butter
2-3 tbsp cold water
For the filling
1 tbsp raspberry jam
125g/4½oz caster sugar
125g/4½oz ground almonds
1 free-range egg, beaten
½ tsp almond extract
50g/1¾oz flaked almonds
For the icing
80g/2¾oz icing sugar
2½ tsp cold water
- To make the pastry, measure the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water, mixing to form a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 20cm/8in flan tin. Leave in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 (180C fan).
- Line the pastry case with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for about 15 minutes, then remove the beans and foil and cook for a further five minutes to dry out the base.
- For the filing, spread the base of the flan generously with raspberry jam.
- Melt the butter in a pan, take off the heat and then stir in the sugar. add ground almonds, egg and almond extract. Pour into the flan tin and sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 35 minutes. If the almonds seem to be browning too quickly, cover the tart loosely with foil to prevent them burning.
- Meanwhile, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Stir in cold water and transfer to a piping bag.
- Once you have removed the tart from the oven, pipe the icing over the top, giving an informal zig zag effect.
You will see from the photos below the oven was a little too hot!!!
In the Wild and Tamed section of the Sturton and Stow Show there are three classes which I will soon have seed for:
‘Potatoes in a Bucket’
The ‘Largest Sunflower Head’
and The ‘Longest Runner Bean’
If you are aged 16 and under and would like to enter these classes then let me know and I’ll arrange for you to have the necessary seed. I can be contacted on 01427 788356 or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I look forward to getting lots of requests but seed may be limited so it will be distributed on a first come basis.
VERY BEST WISHES FOR 2015
THE AGM IS ON 13th APRIL IF YOU WANT TO COME ALONG AND BE PART OF THE PLANNING FOR THE 128th SHOW
128th SHOW WILL BE ON SATURDAY 3rd OCTOBER
SEE YOU THERE!
STURTON AND STOW SHOW – TREASURER NEEDED
The 127th Sturton and Stow Show, held on Saturday 4th October was, like it predecessors, a resounding success and it was nice to see so many familiar faces and to hear many complimentary remarks being made.
Preparations are already in hand for our 128th Show, which will be on Saturday 3rd October 2015. A lot of different people play their part in the success of the Show each year.
The Sturton and Stow Agricultural and Horticultural Association is looking for an Honorary Treasurer, the full duties include:
- Managing the Bank Accounts
- Sending out Orders
- Maintaining a list of Vice Presidents*
- Collecting monies paid in for entries into the show
- Recording Judges results on Show Day*
- Paying out Prize Money* and
- Preparing Annual Accounts for the AGM each year.
*Other members of the committee do help with certain aspects of the job.
If you are able to help please get in touch with Pam Rose, via the contact button above, in the first instance.
Mouth watering exhibits from the Domestic Cookery section of the show: