This year’s Show recipe is Bakewell Tart; I have tried this recipe and had I read the method correctly it could have been ‘perfect’, I had the oven at 200C for a conventional oven and not 180C for my fan oven.
For the shortcrust pastry
175g/6oz plain flour
75g/2½oz chilled butter
2-3 tbsp cold water
For the filling
1 tbsp raspberry jam
125g/4½oz caster sugar
125g/4½oz ground almonds
1 free-range egg, beaten
½ tsp almond extract
50g/1¾oz flaked almonds
For the icing
80g/2¾oz icing sugar
2½ tsp cold water
- To make the pastry, measure the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water, mixing to form a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 20cm/8in flan tin. Leave in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 (180C fan).
- Line the pastry case with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for about 15 minutes, then remove the beans and foil and cook for a further five minutes to dry out the base.
- For the filing, spread the base of the flan generously with raspberry jam.
- Melt the butter in a pan, take off the heat and then stir in the sugar. add ground almonds, egg and almond extract. Pour into the flan tin and sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 35 minutes. If the almonds seem to be browning too quickly, cover the tart loosely with foil to prevent them burning.
- Meanwhile, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Stir in cold water and transfer to a piping bag.
- Once you have removed the tart from the oven, pipe the icing over the top, giving an informal zig zag effect.
You will see from the photos below the oven was a little too hot!!!